Meet Brian Gregoire, better known as Briguy, our first place winner for the all® fresh tropical mist project and this month’s featured member! Brian loves comedy and has some great tips for other Zooppers looking to participate in future projects. Check out his personal website here and keep on reading to find out more about the Los Angeles native.
- Tell us about yourself, personally and creatively (mini bio).
I’m originally from Los Angeles and have always really enjoyed making videos. When I was a kid, it was monster movies with my friends. When I was in college, it was video presentations with my classmates…and today it’s somewhere in between the two. When I’m not working, I like to travel. I’ve been to 45 countries to date and hope to make it 50 within the next couple of years.
- What brought you to the Zooppa community?
I’m pretty sure Google told me while I was perusing contests. Google knows what’s up.
- What do you like most about crowdsourced projects?
The freedom to make whatever you want and to have your work considered by big name brands is a pretty sweet deal. I enjoy everything about the process. Specifically the edit, when I get to see how far off my vision was or how surprised I am that it actually worked.
- Name 4 artists that have influenced your work.
Mark Duplass, Flight of the Concords, Larry David, Lonely Island
- Where do/did you go to school? How has your education influenced your work?
I graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder with a degree in Marketing. I really learned to edit by opting to make video presentations rather than presenting live. Boulder also taught me that whole work-life balance thing pretty well.
- What is your favorite style and artistic medium to work on?
Anything comedy related. If it’s lighthearted and fun, I’m usually on board. I love to play music too so I work that in when it feels appropriate (I make it appropriate often).
- Where can we find you on a Saturday afternoon?
In Santa Monica, on a bike ride with my girlfriend or in the darkness of my studio working on a mayonnaise jingle with friends…could go either way.
- Choose 5 words to describe your art.
Simple, Catchy, Lighthearted, Happy, Fun
- What projects are you currently working on?
Breakfast sandwich commercial for a fast food chain, a YouTube instructional series, an animated pilot, and a new Zooppa project (duh).
- What drew you to participate in the ALL campaign? i.e. – did the brief catch your attention, the award money, the love for the brand?
The brief. It was such a fun assignment to work on. There were a lot of great submissions too – kudos to the rest. I feel lucky to be part of the winner’s circle.
- What is one piece of advice you would give to your fellow Zooppa community members?
Go with your gut. I think of the brief as a wish list and the brand is like a kid on Christmas. You have a better chance of making the kid happy if you check things off their wish list but they don’t always know what they want until they see it. Sure, you’ll have a better shot of a purchase if you follow the brief but don’t let it hold you back from an idea you really believe in.
Chances are that the brand hasn’t even considered the awesomeness of your vision and this platform allows you to show it to them. And if you fail, you’ll still have a piece for your portfolio that you’re proud of.
- 10 years from now where will we see you and your artwork?
I’d like to stay in LA and continue helping brands curate content, bigger and better projects and more broadcast media would be ideal. But if I’m living in LA, near my family and friends, and happy with what I’m working on day-to-day, then that’s good enough for me.