Meet Rick Starick, our newest Featured Member!
This Zoopper has enjoyed the creative process since a young age and it sure is working out for him. Check out his most recent win for Sam Adams and learn a bit more about the path he took below!
1. Tell us about yourself, personally and creatively.
I am 28 years old hailing from New York where I lived for a majority of my life time. I currently reside in Los Angeles, California where I own and operate a creative collaborations company called NYLAC,inc. I was always a creative kid growing up, although I was awful at drawing and painting, it was an early inspiration to me. I first picked up a camera when I was 10-12 years old and that became my tool to create. I was lucky to have a photography program in my highschool and I was fascinated with being able to learn and work with film.
2. What brought you to the Zooppa community?
I came to Zooppa because I found it was a great platform for creatives to really express themselves fully. Rather than being hired to do something for the buck, you can choose what you want to do here and that’s exciting to me.
3. What do you like most about crowdsourced film contests?
It’s always excited to see what other people have come up with on these projects. It’s a huge learning experience and continues to make my work better.
4. Name 3 films/directors that have influenced your work.
David Fincher – The Social Network
Andre Stringer – His Under Armour films.
David Lynch – Mullholland Drive
5. Where do/did you go to school? How has your education influenced your filmmaking?
I went to the fashion institute of technology. They have a great film program there, most importantly they teach you how to make it in the real world, not souly focus on your creativity. A lot of art schools lack that in my opinion.
6. What is your favorite genre of film to create?
That’s a tough question, I enjoy a broad range of things from adventure files to sports documentary and everything in between.
7. Where can we find you on a Saturday afternoon?
Who knows! At home watching a movie, in the mountains snowboarding, bike riding, at the beach, traveling somewhere its always different.
8. What projects are you currently working on?
We finished our Sam Adams piece about a month ago. We had a lot of fun shooting and editing the project, the process was very organic. Generally you shoot an idea in a process that was pre planned, here we had a few pieces of the puzzle and it really came together throughout the day we shot.
9. What drew you to participate in this campaign? i.e. – did the brief catch your attention, the prize money, the love for the brand?
I love process, and being expressive which is what our film is about. The brief really caught my attention here.
10. What is one piece of winning advice you would give to your fellow Zooppa community members?
Obviously pay attention to the brief but don’t confuse that with being yourself, its all about putting YOUR spin on what the project is all about.
11. 10 years from now where will we see you and your films?
In 10 years I hope to be doing the same thing just on a larger scale! Its tough to say where that will go. I shoot a lot commercial length, short films now. Id like to shoot a few more longterm projects, documentaries that I feel passionate about and ultimately the viewer is left with something special.
Check out Rick Starick’s website, and follow him on instragram @nylac.tv to see more of his work!