At Zooppa, we focus on creating an international community of creatives who all have a similar passion. Meet this month’s featured member, Jurgena Tahiri — one of the winners for our Zooppa Mural project!
If you want to connect with Jurgena, don’t forget to check out her other amazing work right here:
Read on to learn more about Jurgena’s story as an artist and Zoopper! We’re so excited to be part of her artistic journey.
1. Tell us about yourself, personally and creatively.
My name is Jurgena Tahiri and I’m a graphic designer, illustrator, and freelance photographer based in Tirana, Albania. I have been involved with the art world since I was six years old and I have been experimenting with many ways of creating art. When I was a student, I fell in love with printmaking which led me to make very detailed illustrations and later on, very detailed book covers (since I’m a book worm). My way of creating art is concentrated in the details, be it designing, painting or drawing while my photographic work is concentrated in finding the deep emotions we try to hide. I like bringing them to the surface and showing them to the audience.
2. What brought you to the Zooppa community?
My big desire to work and compete with other artists in really interesting projects.
3. What do you like most about crowdsourced projects?
Today I win, tomorrow you win but in both cases we admire each other and learn from each other.
4. Name 3 artists that have influenced your work.
I’m a big fan of Edward Munch, Lucian Freud and traditional asian art.
5. Where do/did you go to school? How has your education influenced your design?
I graduated from the University of Arts in Tirana and I hold a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in Graphic Design. When I was a student, I had the opportunity to work on traditional printmaking and this gave me another medium that I could experiment with. So later I started incorporating my prints in my digital designs. I have done that mostly in my book cover projects.
6. What is your favorite style and artistic medium to work on?
I love minimalism and I really enjoy creating art both with traditional mediums and digital ones.
7. Where can we find you on a Saturday afternoon?
Well, if I’m not sketching new ideas, I will probably be drinking a glass of wine, in a piano bar, or something similar with my sweet half and having philosophical discussions.
8. Choose 5 words to describe your art.
Minimal, contemporary, creative, modern, artistic.
9. What projects are you currently working on?
Currently I have been working on advertising projects and some book covers and illustration projects.
10. What drew you to participate in this campaign? i.e. – did the brief catch your attention, the award money, the love for the brand?
I wanted as much space in Zooppa as possible to be filled with my art.
11. What is one piece of advice you would give to your fellow Zooppa community members?
Think outside the box.
12. 10 years from now where will we see you and your artwork?
In 10 years my art will probably have evolved and maybe it will have made people feel as good as it makes me feel doing it.