Meet Laurel Cohen! This months featured member is new to Zooppa and is kicking off her welcoming party with a victory.
Check out her winning video for BEHR–featuring one special furry co-star.
We’re excited to see more from this traveling Zoopper and if you just can’t wait, check out her site for more creative works.
1. Tell us about yourself, personally and creatively.
I’m a traveling freelance filmmaker, with ties to the midwest and LA. I’ve been charmingly coercing my best friends to act in my films since I was twelve.
2. What brought you to the Zooppa community?
A Zooppa representative contacted me about the Behr Paint project opportunity after viewing my directing reel on Vimeo.
3. What do you like most about crowdsourced film contests?
Seeing all the different submission videos. A lot of filmmakers on here are thinking outside the box, and they inspire me to think more creatively about the project prompts too.
4. Name 3 films/directors that have influenced your work.
I actually don’t watch that many movies or TV shows. I think random online, unattributed media consumption and the weird dreams I wake up from in the middle of the night influence my work the most.
5. Where do/did you go to school? How has your education influenced your filmmaking?
I completed my undergraduate degree in Film at Northwestern University. I mostly wrote/directed short form narrative in college, and that focus on story-telling resonates throughout my work, whether it be an advertisement, tour doc, or music video.
6. What is your favorite genre of film to create?
7. Where can we find you on a Saturday afternoon?
Roasting squash in coconut oil.
8. Choose 5 words to describe your art.
9. What projects are you currently working on?
I am currently completing an artist residency in Joshua Tree for my next film, “Kreature.” This residency is amazing and is allowing me to expand my creative “sandbox” as I get more experimental with my point of view. I also just uploaded a submission entitled “Haiku” to Zooppa’s recent Shark contest, and I’m pumped about how it turned out.
10. What drew you to participate in this campaign? i.e. – did the brief catch your attention, the prize money, the love for the brand?
I was intrigued by the challenge of how to make Behr paint color, itself, a “character.”
11. What is one piece of winning advice you would give to your fellow Zooppa community members?
Tell a story. And if you’re employing animals as actors, prepare to exercise your extreme patience and soft “indoor” voice.
12. 10 years from now where will we see you and your films?
In a good, grateful, and creative place.