Video has evolved insanely quickly since sharing websites like YouTube and Vimeo launched.
72% of marketers use YouTube for their video marketing campaigns. It’s hard to believe that YouTube was launched just over a decade ago and is the highest video provider, with 182.2 million unique viewers per month. It continues to grow 50% year over year.
Here’s a recap of the major milestones that have occurred with online video:
Brief Timeline of Video
1995 – First viral video on the Internet: The Spirit of Christmas
2004 – Vimeo launched
2005 – YouTube launched
2007 – Facebook Video, Hulu, and Netflix launched
2009 – YouTube reached 1 billion views per day
2012 – Psy’s Gangnam Style is the first video to reach 1 billion views on YouTube
2016 – Facebook Live starts
Video Marketing Stats
- 78.4% U.S. internet users watch videos online
- 48 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute
- Global Netflix users streamed 42.5 billion hours in 2015
- Video in Social Media increases sharing by 10 times
- Twitter: Video tweets are 6 times more likely to be retweeted than photos
- Facebook: 100 million hours of video are watched daily
- Instagram: 58% of ads were video in 2015 Q1
- Snapchat: 10 billion videos are watched daily
- Pinterest: Video posts increased by 60% in 2015-2016
The average time American adults spent time watching video increased 195% between 2011 and 2015 alone. Experts predict that in 2020, video traffic will increase by 3 times what the traffic was in 2015. Also by 2020, 75% of all traffic will be video.
Money is in Video
- Spending increased 13 to 23 billion between 2015 and 2016
- Video ad spending in the U.S. increased by 67% between 2015 and 2017. It’s estimated to increase by 111% between 2017 and 2020
Do these facts get you excited about video? Check out the full infographic from Websitebuilder.org.uk.