That’s right folks. National Pizza Month is officially underway. Hopefully y’all aren’t as cynical about this glorious celebration as Zooppa staff member Sam is. (He loves agruing and taking opposite stances on everything…literally. Ask him about which Pokemon Gameboy game is better, Red or Blue? By the way, they’re both the same…)
But if you’re like Sam, here’s some awesome fun facts about Pizza.
- Pizza comes from the latin root word Picea which means the blackening of crust by fire.
- 62% of Americans prefer meat toppings while 38% prefer vegetables
- The world’s fastest pizza maker can make 14 pizzas in 2 minutes and 35 seconds.
- Eating pizza once a week can reduce the risk of esophageal cancer.
- The farthest pizza delivery was 6861 miles. From Butlers Pizza in Cape Town, South Africa to Corne Krige, captain of the Fedsure Stormers rugby team in Sydney, Australia on March 22, 2001. (Don’t ask how much he tipped.)
- Anchovies are the least ordered topping. Over 75% of the US pizza stores carry it on their menu but it is always on the least ordered list.
- Regular thin pizza crust is still the most popular crust, preferred by 61 percent of the population. Thick crust and deep dish tied for second, at 14%. Only 11 percent of the population prefers extra thin.
- About 350 slices of pizza are consumed every second in the United States.
- The record for the world’s largest pizza depends on how you slice it. According to Guinness World Records, the record for the world’s largest circular pizza was set at Norwood Hypermarket in South Africa in 1990. The gigantic pie measured 122 feet 8 inches across, weighed 26,883 pounds, and contained 9,920 pounds of flour, 3,968 pounds of cheese, and 1,984 pounds of sauce. In 2005, the record for the world’s largest rectangular pizza was set in Iowa Falls, Iowa. Pizza restaurant owner Bill Bahr and a team of 200 helpers created the 129 X 98.6-foot pizza from 4,000 pounds of cheese, 700 pounds of sauce, and 9,500 sections of crust. The enormous pie was enough to feed the town’s 5,200 residents ten slices of pizza each.
- Zooppa is currently holding a contest with Totino’s frozen pizza! You should check out the brief here.