This week’s featured member, Steffen Krones, better known as Lax, comes to us from Dresden, Germany. Lax loves living in the historic city of Dresden, which is over 800 years old. He enjoys the culture and vibe of the city where he feels, “everyone is just doing their own thing and I am one of them.” Lax recently won the First Place Client Award in the Canon Your City: Unique Perspectives project. Lax enjoys the lack of pressure he feels in Dresden and mentions “Here it is not that hectic and everything feels more natural so things just happen as you go and nobody forces me to be creative. It just happens. And actually you are more productive.” Check out our interview with Lax below, and don’t miss his winning submission.
1. What brought you to the Zooppa Community?
I was approached after someone had seen my videos on Vimeo and was asked if I’d like to submit work for a project on Zooppa. At the time I was very busy with other jobs and was unable to submit, but this was how I was initially introduced to Zooppa.
2. What do you like most about crowdsourced film contests?
To be honest, I find it quite hard sometimes to really say who is the “best”. However, you see a lot of different styles and ideas which I find really inspiring. You can actually choose if you want to compete or not which makes it very individual and you can really just concentrate on the projects you feel good about.
3. Name 3 films/directors that have influenced your work.
- First of all, my good friend and workmate Sebastian Linda. He always pushes himself one step further and so is he pushing me! I recommend watching “The Journey of the Beasts” and “Loving Lanka.”
- Romain Gavras! I love his work. He has some great stories and thought provoking themes with and amazing way of telling the stories. (e.g. “adidas – all in” or “M.I.A. – Bad Girls”)
- Yoann Lemoine aka Woodkid. I like his work as a director and as a musician. Amazing.
I have a general education in media design. It has helped me a bit, but I’d say I got most of my knowledge by just making videos. I have learned by doing for the most part.
5. What is your favorite genre of film to create?
There is no genre for me. I like anything that feels good and/or catches my attention.
6. Where can we find you on a Saturday afternoon?
Hanging out with my friends, skating, or making films.
7. Choose 5 words to describe your art.
A. Way. To. Move. People… haha
8. What projects are you currently working on?
I filmed a shortfilm in Norway. It’s a thriller, maybe even a psycho thriller. I also filmed another short two weeks ago.
9. What drew you to participate in this campaign? i.e. – did the brief catch your attention, the prize money, the love for the brand?
The campaigns headline got me “Your City: Unique Perspectives”, I knew right away what I wanted to film and how I would like to present Dresden.
10. What is one piece of advice you would give to your fellow Zooppa community members?
It’s not the camera that tells the story, you are telling the story, the camera just captures it.
11. 10 years from now where will we see you and your films?
I guess I will still be doing my films and trying to move people. But doing it even better and catching way more people with it.
Check out more of Lax’s great work on his Vimeo page!